Project Intern | Shifali
Q. Hi Shifali, first things first, (Welcome to City 1016) tell us how old are you and how long have you been in Dubai?
A. Hello! Hello! Hello! Oh, I can’t begin to thank the team at City 1016 for giving me such an amazing opportunity to learn RJing (and million other) skills with the best in the industry (Yes, I’m trying to butter them, a tad bit of chamchaagiri goes a long way).
My age you enquire? Hmm… well, technically, its rude to ask a lady her age, but aren’t we all rebels here? So, I’m a 22 year old and I’ve lived half of my life in Dubai. Do the math.
Q: School school? College college?
A: My life has been a series of round trips from Delhi to Dubai. I did a bit of my kindergarten at New Dubai Nursery, went back to Delhi and studied at a convent school, came back here in the 3rd grade and joined DPS Dubai, went back in 11th Grade and joined the same convent school, came back to pursue my Bachelors in Journalism and Communication from Middlesex University. Phew! Wonder if I had to say that in one breath?
Q: When did you realise radio was something you wanted to get into?
A: Did you not read the answers to the previous two questions? Imagine, how much I can talk if that’s how I respond to simple, potentially, two-liner questions. It wasn’t much of a realization as it was an observation. Most people who’ve had the privilege of meeting me and landed themselves into trouble just by asking how I was doing or what my favourite songs were, usually ended up suggesting that I should consider a career in radio.
Q: Like Movies? What are the last 3 movies you loved?
A: I’ll spare you the effort of reading through yet another lengthy answer and just list the movies down.
1. Baahubali (DUH!)
2. Dangal. Although, it was a complete contradiction to the message that Amir Khan tried to deliver through 3 Idiots, which also happens to be an all time favoutire of mine.
3. Udta Punjab. I’m going to say just two name: Alia Bhatt and Diljit Dosanjh
Q: What are the last 3 songs you loved so much, you couldn’t stop singing?
A: Are you seriously asking a diehard Bollywood romantic to pick 3 songs that play in her head on repeat? I’m going to list 5, because I really cannot choose.
1. Soch Na Sakey from Airlift
2. Main Rahoon Na Rahoon by Amaal Mallik and Armaan Malik
3. Channa Merya from Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
4. Hasin Ban Gaye from Hamari Adhuri Kahani
5. Maana Ke Hum Yaar Nahi from Meri Pyaari Bindu
Q: 3 things you discovered after joining City 1016 studios?
1. It’s not easy, but you’ll still love every bit of the experience.
2. The voices that you hear on air are just as friendly and humble in person.
3. Most importantly, there is no greater joy in the world than being able to do as much as possible for those who need the help. I was lucky to have been appointed at the time when City 1016 initiated the City Gives Back campaign during their birthday month. This internship not only gave me a clear insight into the radio industry but it made me a much better version of myself and I will, forever, be thankful to the team for having such an effect on me.
Q: Things you just can’t wait for to discover/introduce at City 1016?
Discover: How do they do it all; be on air, multitask, have a life and look fabulous even after being exhausted? But I think I’ve found an answer to that. They all have clones. Teehee 😛
Introduce: I think City should host it’s own desi dance competition. It could lead to something really cool since City 1016 is UAE’s No.1 Bollywood Radio Station and their listeners are obviously the city’s biggest Bollywood maniacs.