Today (20th Oct 2016) Dilwale Dulhaniya Le jayenge completes 21 years! 21 years of changing the landscape of how love stories were told in Bollywood. Ok maybe not the landscape but you can tell that I’m a very very big DDLJ fan 😉 Apart from the teaches us lessons on friendship, respecting our parents, how to stand by what you believe in and how in the face of true love everyone gives in <3 Another thing that DDLJ is known for is some of the fashion trends that in started 21 years ago BUT the most interesting part is that the costumes worn in DDLJ are still super cool and trendy in 2016! (And I’ve heard that SRK still has all his costumes from te film except the brwon jacket he wore in the ‘palat’ scene because it was actually Aditya Chopra’s jacket) So, here are my top 5 fashion styles from DDLJ that will still make you and I look hep and happening even today 😀
1) These John Lenon inspired sunglasses. They’re everything that is popular right now in the fashion circuit – vintage and comes in all sorts of colours now!
2) If you’ve looked around, one of the fashion trends of the 90’s that made a comeback was the maxi dress! Kajol rocked this outfit in DDLJ and those boots she wore with this dress made it even cooler.
3) Hellllllooooo crop tops! The crop top craze started in 2015 actually and you saw every celebrity and fashionista wearing them with long skirts, knee length skirts, pencil skirts, palazzo pants – you name it and the crop top can go with it! Kajol once again wore this cute white number in 1995 and apparently Aditya Chopra didn’t like how long the skirt was so designer Manish Malhotra had to be cut it right there and then while ‘Mere Khwabon Main Jo Aaye’ was being shot 😀
4) Not that leather jackets were not popular before DDLJ but there was something about Shah Rukh Khan’s boyish charm that really brought leather jackets into fashionable focus! A classic black leather jacket has to be a part of your wardrobe!!
5) High boots!! If you’re looking to pick up boots for this winter, make sure they’re calf high like these ones that’s Kajol wore or better yet, make them thigh high! so catwalk worthy, so sexy 😉