And the winner is…
Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps have been the talk of the town for their records… but in the news yesterday was a world record, the likes of which are not really talked about much. The world record for the largest samosa was smashed in London yesterday, with the samosa weighing in at 153.1 kgs (337.5 pounds). It wasn’t easy business— the samosa had to tick off a lot of boxes for it to have made the list… Triangular, containing flour, peas, potatoes, onions, it had to be fried, retain its shape… It must have been a Herculean effort!
It got me thinking about the other world records that have been achieved in the food-related sphere- and I started reading about it. It’s so interesting, the things people have come up with and the records that have been achieved. And the TIME people have to do this! I need to clear my schedule and break a record of my own now. Bas. Bahut hua.
1. The world’s largest cake sculpture: there are all kinds of numbers written in the description of this record, but basically, it’s LARGE. It was made in Italy by the National Association Cake Designers in Italy. 250 designers worked together to create THIS.
2. Most layers in a sandwich: the most layers in a sandwich is 60, and was achieved in New York last year. A Dr Irwin Adam Eydelnant achieved this feat- and I’d probably get a world record for pronouncing his name right on the first attempt! 😉 But what this makes me question is not how it was made- but who ATE it. I can barely fit a 3 layered sandwich in my mouth! Whoever did, hats off!
3. The largest pizza: no surprises here (!)– the largest pizza was prepared in Rome, Italy. Not only was it the world’s largest pizza, but it was also gluten-free in an attempt to educate and spread a message about healthy food choices. Hmm… you make the world’s largest pizza and talk about health. The size of this pizza was 1,261.65 sq meters—I think there are houses this big!
4. Most ice cream scoops balanced on a cone: this one genuinely surprised me! A man in Italy has managed to balance 121 scoops of ice cream on a single cone. The current record holder, Dimitri Panciera, was also the holder of the previous record; he beat his own 109 scoops to achieve this title of 121 balanced on a cone.
5. The largest individual laddu: a desi name added to the world record hall of fame- Mallikharjuna Rao from Andhra Pradesh achieved the record of making the largest individual laddu which weighed 29,465 kgs. It was a boondhi laddu, made from ghee, cashews, oil, sugar, almonds, cardamom and water.
I’M HUNGRY NOW. But on a serious note, reading about these records has really inspired me, and I’m thinking of what I could get a title in. I know of someone who is on a quest to find the biggest naan… Maybe that could be mine!? Tell me your thoughts on these world records, and give me some ideas 😉 😀 Have a great weekend!
-Project Intern, Anjali